Are you about to begin your studying for an International Compliance Association qualification? Me too!
I have enrolled onto the ICA International Diploma in Anti Money Laundering (AML), which may at first seem odd as I’m a senior research and development manager at International Compliance Training, the lead training partner of ICA. My role includes writing and updating training material but I feel that gaining the ICA Diploma is important for me for two reasons.
1) The course will build on the knowledge I obtained working in the financial services industry; I spent over 8 years working in compliance and AML teams within the wealth management industry, with my last role being deputy money laundering reporting officer. Studying for the ICA Diploma also ensures that I have a more well-rounded knowledge of AML issues in other areas such as gambling or trade finance.
2) I will gain important insight into what it is like to be an ICA student studying with ICT.
So with that in mind, I thought I might share with students some tips around pre-course preparation.
- Familiarise yourself with the learning platform as this is where all the course material and additional resources, such as self-assessment questions and webinars, are be found. The material will not be available until your course commences (31 March for AML Diploma students) but there is a questions and answers forum for you to use and a notice board for key messages from ICT.
- Have a look at some of the support on the ICT website. Would you like to learn how to write better in exams? How about some tips for writing a better assignment? Maybe some hints on maximising your workshop experience? There are also tips on studying in general and making the most of the learning platform. The ICT Views area of the ICT website can provide you with a wealth of resources, and I haven’t even mentioned the AML ‘hot topics’ we comment on.
- Join ICT’s LinkedIn Study and Network Group. ICT posts daily into this group with news stories from the compliance and AML world, keeping you up to date with current trends. This is another portal for you to interact with students and ICT, so don’t be shy, just post!
- Make sure you are familiar with the syllabus for the course and the upcoming workshop dates if you are doing face-to-face learning.
It’s my intention to start blogging a little more regularly and share my experiences of studying, hopefully giving everyone insight into the journey of an ICA student.
By the way, I’m not forgetting the governance, risk and compliance (GRC) aspect. Whilst I think it may be too aspirational to do two diplomas at once, I will be attending a workshop soon, so am looking forward to sharing any GRC pearls of wisdom with you too.
In the meantime, if you do have any questions around of the courses, please contact us at ICT@int-comp.com or +44 (0) 121 362 7534.
If you’re interested in learning with ICT, view all courses in AML, governance, risk and compliance and financial crime prevention here.
To stay updated on the latest developments in governance, risk and compliance, anti-money laundering and financial crime prevention, please follow us on either LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter where you are guaranteed to be notified when our next blog post goes live!